11 May - An examination of conscience on agape - 1


Only if a priest’s humanity is also imbued with love it is redeemed, and as a consequence there is no fracture between his field of service and his life in society...
Let us formulate a kind of “examination of conscience” which will enable us to consider life in all its complexity, and to include in the structural basis of love some “corners” of life that are often overlooked.
1. Communion: Is my life style determined in the light of, and in view of communion? What relationship do I have with my spiritual and material goods? What is my way of owning and giving?
2. Mission: How am I, how to do I act, how do I approach people? Is my way of life in conformity with the demands of my ministry? To what extent? Does my life demonstrate the attractive force of the Gospel?
3. Spirituality: How do I believe, live, bear witness to my faith? Do I know how to penetrate God’s “intimacy”, and how to lead others to it, do I know how to allow others to lead me to it?

Klaus Hemmerle
Scelto per gli uomini
Città Nuova, Roma 19952, pp. 197-198