5 March - God in the Spiritual Night

If God doesn’t heal me, I think there’s a mystery about it that one just doesn’t understand. I think that God does have a purpose in our lives, and it is not measured by the length of our life … Actually, there is nothing more glorious than to be with Christ for ever, free from pain, suffering, and tears, and all the problems and injustices of this world. I genuinely am at a place now where I really want to be in heaven. The sooner the better! But I am willing to be here on earth with all its struggles, battles and problems, if he wants me here.
There will be times when we are actually angry with God; or utterly depressed or totally disillusioned because God appears to be doing nothing … But working through those moments of lostness (‘the dark nights of the soul’ as the mystics called them) so our relationship with God can deepen. If I only praise God when the sun is shining my faith is shallow.

David Watson
David Watson: A Biograhpy
Hodder, Sevenoaks 1992, p. 229