24 December - Meeting God in our limits

At Christmas the Word became flesh, God became man. That means God in my limits, and within my limits, God. My limitations, my failure, my insecurities, are God’s place in the world. He took care of all that, he accepted all that…
Where I touch my limits, I actually touch him, and there is no reason to hope less, but to hope more. Accepting my limits means accepting him, accepting God in my limits.
And at the same time, within my limits, God! What I can give to others in my limits, is infinitely less than what they need and what they ask for. And yet God is in my limits, and in these he gives, in response to my gift. Through his incarnation, understood properly, I become “sacrament” for him, an operative sign through which he communicates and spreads his influence in our world.

Klaus Hemmerle
Lettera natalizia 1993